- A mini grill via Rachael Ray. This is my all-time favorite and it's so much easier than it looks. The kids love making the kabobs that go on top and it encourages healthy snacking.
- Place a spout on your watermelon and make it a juice keg. Hollow out and then fill with your favorite beverage.
- Carve a watermelon vase and fill with edible flowers, basil and mint. You could also cut the inner melon into fun shapes and skewer to poke through the flowers.
- A Watermelon turtle is much easier than it looks. I've found that carrots make sturdy legs. Cut the bottoms at an angle for stability.
- Keep it healthy with a watemelon birthday cake!
- Baskets are also fun because they are very versatile in shape and fillings to fit nearly any theme. I learn more by seeing, than reading, so here's a useful video.
- Make it a theme snack with watermelon Legos and the Lego movie or a Lego building competition!
Tips and Fun Facts
- Watermelons are cousins to cucumbers, squash and pumpkins.
- The first watermelon harvest occured 5,000 years ago in Egypt.
- When selecting your melon, make sure the bottom is a little yellow. This shows that it has been ripened on the vine!
- Every part of the watermelon is edible. Pickle those rinds and toast those seeds.
What's your favorite watermelon shape?