- Spinach FLAG Pizza—see recipe below
- PATRIOTIC Parfait – Layers of vanilla yogurt with blueberries and strawberries
- Bright Idea! If you can’t find rectangular pizza dough, outline a rectangular flag shape with cheese on top of a circular premade crust.
Crafters: Have kids make star streamers from red and blue construction paper (younger kids may need a little hand with this task). Or, kids may want white stars to color themselves. Make small holes on the tip of each star, then thread each star onto yarn or dental floss, tying a knot after each star to keep it steady. Hang the streamers across the meal table.
Artists and Writers: Have kids make cards for veterans. Write the words, “Thank you for…” on the outside and, on the inside, write FREEDOM down the left side. Have kids draw pictures of what freedom means to them or a word for each letter. For example, ‘Family’ for the ‘F’ in Freedom. Or, challenge older kids to make meaningful words from each letter.
Cooks: Depending on their skill level, pick an activity that is safe and fun for kids.
- Roll out pizza dough to lay in the sheet pan.
- Prepare pizza toppings by washing, slicing and shredding.
- Wash blueberries and strawberries.
- Cap and slice strawberries.
- Layer the dessert parfaits.
- Bright Idea! If it’s a nice, warm day in May then set up your theme dinner in the back yard, on the deck, or at the neighborhood park.