- NEW York Steak Grill or broil to the doneness you like.
- NEW Potatoes Wash and cut potatoes in halves or fourths. Toss with olive oil and a favorite seasoning. Roast on a sheet pan in a single layer at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Santa Fe Black Beans with Salsa (from NEW Mexico. Get it?) Drain canned black beans and add a spoonful of salsa.
- NEW Year’s Broccoli Steam or microwave until tender. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Activity: NEWspaper Placemats highlighting the past year. Cut Poster Board for each placemat or use a blank piece of any color paper.
Crafters: Have kids cut out pictures from newspapers or magazines and paste them on their posterboard placemat (glue sticks equal less mess). At dinner, discuss the pictures and why they chose them.
Artists: Have kids draw pictures of family adventures from the past year onto their placemat. At dinner, relive your memories as the kids explain why they chose them.
Writers: On their placemat, have kids write a short article(s) about your family adventures as if for a newspaper. At dinner, talk over a bonus article they can write about the upcoming year. Older kids can do this on their own during the week. It’s a great keepsake when repeated each year!
Cooks: Depending on their skill level, pick an activity that is safe and fun for kids:
- Toss potatoes in olive oil.
- Slice new potatoes in halves or fourths.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on the cooked broccoli.
- Sprinkle herbs onto the cut potatoes.
- Stir up the black beans and salsa.
- Wash the broccoli.
- Cut up the broccoli.
For more dinner ideas, download a copy of Need Help Mom? on Amazon.